Friday, May 11, 2007

Unanimous

The Illinois House voted 107-0 today against the governor's new gross receipts tax.

From my point of view,
Almost too good to be true.

Well, it turns out that our governor, once he realized he was going to lose the vote, asked his supporters to vote against the bill anyway. I don't quite understand that part. Maybe he was doing them a favor, sparing them the voters' wrath.

"It's like Kryptonite," said Rep. Julie Hamos (D-Evanston), who had considered voting for the governor's tax plan.
What a lovely, bright green sight:
A bad bill turned to Kryptonite.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yea, when I read your previous post on this topic, I was quite concerned, because I love Chicago and would wish to return there perhaps at some point.

This news has assuaging.

Btw, who is the governor there now? Not Blagojevich, is it?

John Enright said...

Yes, it's still Blagojevich.

I'm relieved by the vote. He will try to raise taxes some other way, but he has not been terribly effective in getting legislation through.