Saturday, September 17, 2011

Driving Miss Daisy

I finally read the play Driving Miss Daisy the other day. I still haven't seen the movie.

The play won the Pulitzer, and the movie won Best Picture, but I like waiting at least 10 years before seeing something that won prizes.

I liked it. I practically heard Morgan Freeman's voice for the chauffer's character. He was in the play and the movie, and I can see where the role was perfect for his talents.

Structurally, the play reminded me a bit of Same Time Next Year. We see a relationship blossom across attitude-changing years of the 20th century, and some of the appeal of the story comes from revisiting the history.

Which in turn reminds me of Forrest Gump and the Billy Joel song, We Didn't Start The Fire, which also provide whirlwind history tours.

In a few years will there be a hit play
nostalgically looking back at today?

No comments: