Monday, September 05, 2011

Romantic Realism on Wikipedia

I've taken to editing one Wikipedia article - the one on Romantic Realism. I've done a fair amount of research on the term, and removed the "major problems" with the article. And I've kept fiddling with it as people make changes, or make complaints. There were people proposing the article should be deleted, because Romantic Realism wasn't really a movement, or because it wasn't even a standard term of aesthetic criticism. I did the work of finding the references to prove that it really was a standard of aesthetic criticism, even it it might not be a big "notable" movement.

My most recent research had to do with someone who objected to a statement in the beginning of the article, that romanticism and realism are typically seen as opposed to each other. The objector thought this looked like setting up a straw man, since there were no references to prove that they are typically seen as being polar opposites. It's funny that no one had pointed this out before, maybe it just struck everybody as common sense. But I had piled up so many citations of people who thought romanticism and realism were compatible... that I guessed it was only fair to get some quotations from people who declare them highly incompatible. Curiously enough, the objector even provided me with an author who would be a good candidate for such a quotation, namely Paul Elmer More who I had never heard of. So here are my new footnotes:

  1. ^ Abercrombie, Lascelles (1963) [1926]. Romanticism. New York: Barnes and Noble. p. 61. "For there is an element directly opposed to romanticism : it is realism. The true antithesis, then, is between romanticism and realism."

    • ^ Cowardin Jr., Samuel Pendleton; More, Paul Elmer (1939). The Study of English Literature. New York: Henry Holt and Company. p. 138. "And it follows as a corollary that realism is, on the whole, the opposite of romanticism; for, as we have seen, romanticism is usually bound up with idealism."

      I also softened the claim from "typically seen as opposed" to "often seen as opposed". I wasn't sure how to establish what was the "typical" view. The relationship of Romanticism to Realism is actually a contentious one, among academics - and among non-academics too!

      After a while I expect this article's every clause
      will have its own footnote... just because!

      No comments: