Sunday, March 18, 2012

Odoriferous Fish

Stanley Fish, a reportedly genial man who periodically appears in the news by saying outrageous things, has an opinion piece in the NY Times entitled "Two Cheers For Double-Standards". His idea is that it's okay to treat Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh by different standards, since Maher is right and Limbaugh is wrong.

Except Fish doesn't really believe in right and wrong, he believes in my tribe vs. your tribe.
I know the objections to what I have said here... It elevates tribal obligations over the universal obligations we owe to each other as citizens... It implies finally that might makes right. I can live with that.
Jeff Goldstein comments:
Fish says he can live with that. I’ve spent a decade on my site showing you precisely why, if you believe in the American experiment, you cannot and should not.
Saying might makes right
puts out the light,
nothing left to talk about,
time to fight and shout.

No comments: