Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Down in the Polls

Bad news for me. An atheist has little chance of winning the presidency. In fact, a religious gay person appears to poll better than a straight atheist.

It atheophobia!

Atheists really do have a lot of bad p.r. Maybe it's all their lawsuits, like the one trying to get the word "God" out of the Pledge.

Or maybe it's the cold-war association with godless communists.

Agnostics have much better p.r. Sure, atheists think they're indecisive. But everybody else thinks they're fine people who at least are making an effort.

If you're worried about being outed
Just tell them you have doubted
And haven't yet found belief.
You will find, to your relief,
People mostly think you're swell
And not yet bound for hell.

They might vote for you, as well.

However, as for me,
I withdraw my candidacy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, I think you mean to say "agnostics think they're indecisive" in this paragraph:

"Agnostics have much better p.r. Sure, atheists think they're indecisive. But everybody else thinks they're fine people who at least are making an effort."

But yea. How wierd this is, isn't it? I think this aspect of our society--more than any other aspect--reveals the utter irrationality that pervades, wherein the confused or careless agnostic position is considered more worthy of respect than the certainty and reason of an atheist.

John Enright said...

I wasn't clear.

What I meant to say was that we atheists think of agnostics as people who can't make up their minds!

People have bought the idea that morality is anchored in the supernatural - so they think atheists must be immoral or something.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I get it now. :)

Alex Ashman said...

The 'No More Atheophobia' campaign (http://atheophobia.blogspot.com/) might interest you :-)

John Enright said...

Thank you, Tufty, I'll have a look.