Friday, June 26, 2009

Tom McGrath

This is part 2 in my little series where I say something I really like about one of the actors in my play.

Tom, who plays the male lead, has just amazed me with his development of the role. I first heard him do it in a reading, and he did the part with great earnestness, which I thought was good. But he has added so much, and has always made it look effortless. He takes direction very well - one instruction and his performance changes. But, what is more, he is inventive on his own as well - there's a great bit in the show involving a banana, and that is all his. The trap, for actors, in his role, I think, is that the role can appear at first to be sort of a "victim" role. But that turns out to be a misleading assessment, so the actor has to find his way to make the character more of a fighter, even if he's not much of a boxer. Perhaps most important, Tom has invested the character of Ed with personal charm, which is critical to the success of the emotional portion of the plot of the play.

No comments: