Sunday, March 05, 2006

Reading Report

The reading, with an intermission, took a little under 2 hours. The old rule, "each page of playscript equals 1 minute" seemed to hold true.

The actors stood at the front of the room at podiums and read, without physically acting out the big actions. So if 2 characters kissed, that action was not actually executed, but was described by someone reading my stage directions.

The actors did an excellent job. They had rehearsed a bit, but somewhat disconnectedly. All 5 of them had not been together until today, about 20 minutes before show time.

We packed 60 people into the Studio Theater of the Beverly Art Center, pretty much all friends and relatives, some of whom had some theater background.

It went well. The audience was very quiet, except for periodic laughter. The good news is they were laughing at parts I had meant to be funny. They clapped loudly at the end. I got up in front of the audience and asked for feedback, particularly about what they thought might need fixing. I got a few ideas for things to fix, and we had some intelligent discussion about the play. The response was generally enthusiastic. I had people fill out evaluation forms, and I have still to go through those.

What's next? I don't know.
But... on with the show!

No comments: