Thursday, November 10, 2011

Not So Alert After All

Since I was at the office, where we have no TV, I got through my day without being bothered by the National Emergency Alert test.

But in a lot of places it didn't go too well. A FEMA admin gave a classic engineer-style reply:
“I am concerned that we are probably seeing more failures than what we thought. But we didn’t know what we didn’t know. If you don’t test you can’t fix,” said Fugate.
"We didn't know what we didn't know." He's wandering near to Donald Rumsfeld's much mocked quotation:
But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know.
I think it was mocked mostly by people who had trouble following it - perhaps because it was a bit too meta for them.

There are things you think you "know"
that turn out not to be so.

No comments: