Sunday, March 23, 2014

Divergent

We went to see Divergent, the movie version of the young-adult SF novel. It's set in a dystopic Chicago - a future one.

My wife had a host of criticisms; she felt the characterization was thin and the plot was weak and the pacing was slow.

I couldn't argue with her, but I liked it anyway. I liked the theme. I liked the visuals.

Wikipedia explains the title, which has to do with a not-strictly-hereditary caste system: "When the time comes for Beatrice to take her aptitude test, the results are inconclusive: instead of fitting neatly into any one faction, she shows equal aptitude for three: Abnegation, Erudite, and Dauntless. This makes her "Divergent" and she is warned never to share this information with anyone for fear of her life."

In the show, some divergents
emerge as insurgents.

No comments: