Monday, July 21, 2014

Intimate Apparel

I went to see Intimate Apparel, which is reportedly Lynn Nottage's most popular play.

Liked it, didn't love it. Well acted, but some characters who should have had chemistry... didn't seem to have enough. Last night was opening night, so maybe they were just nervous. That can throw things off.

I admired a lot of things about the heroine, an enterprising seamstress of ladies' undergarments in early 20th century New York.

I was kind of waiting for something at the end - and I missed it. Today I looked at the script, at the library - and there it was. The stage directions have the heroine make a certain gesture, which informs you of a new fact, which lends a sense of completion to the play. Anyway, I missed it last night.

Did the actress not make the gesture, or not make it "big" enough... or did I blink?

I was in the front row,
but I really don't know.

No comments: