Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Plugged-In Wilderness

Some years ago I was in Virginia, staying with my wife and some friends at a cabin in a valley where there was zero cell phone reception. But we were very near the Appalachian Trail, and I hiked up there, where you had a good view of the surrounding country, and all of a sudden I had a signal.

So I wasn't too surprised to see a story in today's paper about "staying plugged in" while hiking the Appalachian Trail. The story mentions dedicated bloggers who write posts about every blister.

'Laurie Potteiger, spokeswoman for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy' warns that '"Smartphones can steal your eyes away from the beauty around you."'

I like
to hike.

And I am not bored
when I cut the cord.

But I do like being able to connect.
Given a choice, it's what I'll elect.

No comments: